Re: Allowable Exceptions?

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Allowable Exceptions?
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:56:09 +0100
>7.  Use of modern, "billet" or other reproduction components to replace
>critical, hard-to-find, or out of production OEM suspension components, such
>as brake rotors/hubs, wheels, spindles, arms, and/or any other parts that are
>subject to critical fatigue and cracking/failures.  A case in point is Lotus
>Cortina front brake hubs.  No NOS hubs exist.  All hubs that I am aware of
>that have been in service that have been recently crack-checked were found to
>have cracks.  I know of 3 failures in use (1 was mine).  The ONLY replacement
>choices are a used, potentially cracked one, or a NEW, aluminum-billet
>fabricated one from the UK.
>
>Depending on the organization, some or all of these modificaitons may be
>allowable, but most would not be if the SCCA GCRs were enforced to the
>letter.  There must be room for exceptions to accomodate the vintage racer
>for the reasons cited above.  Does anyone else agree with this??

This raises a very good point. If no "original" parts exist (eg NOS) then a
replacement must be allowed - else the car ceases to race

Logically, then, all historic cars would eventually cease racing and we'd have
to race modern cars

Because we don't want to do this we must "agree" to allow non-original-spec
parts in cars. And the extent of this modification must be set out and policed
by the clubs - and supported and agreed by the racer

Perhaps, in the case of specific parts like these, a standard specification
could be agreed? More beaurocracy, for sure, but perhaps more transparency as
well? That's for us to decide...

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk