Re: Would like to ask some advice

To: les@classicdatsun.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Would like to ask some advice
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 02:05:43 EDT
Les:

GREAT QUESTION.   You know, I believe that 99.9% of us are guilty of
over-restoration, particularly when we we're working on a replica or street-car
conversion, or have a real race car with a less than stellar history, one
that's
been passed from hand to hand with whatever modifications were allowed from one
year to the next.  Cars running through the late 60's and into the 70s often
underwent dramatic transitions in bodywork, engines, and suspensions.

One of the more interesting displays at Monterey this year were the
Bugatti's.  It was most pleasing to see so many seemingly "unrestored" cars,
which made
the concours restoration ones look seriously out of place in time.  What was
particularly unappealing was the modern sponsor decals that many of the
Bugattis wore which looked COMPLETELY OUT OF PLACE, but was worn because the
air
freight sponsor helped get the cars to the track.  Perhaps they could have
found
a more appropriate way to get some recognition??

On the other hand, a rusty, clapped out Datsun 510 may have tremendous
history, but looks like what it is...as truly used up car.

Even many old NASCAR cars are showing up again, looking much better now than
they ever did in their day.  But, racing is about the show, and TODAY's
vintage racing show is more about the cars than anything.  And, in order for
them to
be driven competitively TODAY to put on that show, they need some modern
updating...certainly in the engine, and tires department.  Otherwise, they'll
be
intersting museum pieces circling the track at the back of the pack, which may
or may not enhance their role in the SHOW.

So, my advice would be to do a faithful period cosmetic restoration on those
cars that don't present themselves well in their "patina", and update them
mechancially to make them safe and vintage competitive in today's world.  For
those that are still quite interesting in their weathered livery, put them in
museums, or bring them out for the unrestored class in the concours, but don't
put them on the track where they risk gaining additional "patina" and incurring
embarassment at their poor competitive performance today vs. perhaps
yesterday.

I can hear the purists groaning already...but hey, this is just one man's
view.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (restored, and now tired again, undergoing "freshening") Cortina
Mk1 #128