Re: Would like to ask some advice

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Would like to ask some advice
From: Les Cannaday <les@classicdatsun.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:36:44 -0700
Myles
Yes I saw the display on saturday at Monterey and it is interesting as
One of my friends who raced to only Lagonda there told me That there are
more of some cars now then were ever built in the old days and like
others have told me that are in the business that like the cobra coupes
there are now 8 of the original 6 ever built and many of the custom
coach builders are making replicas that many feel dilute the originals
more.  I know that a lot of the famous Lotus car that were at the races
had significant history and you could barely tell they weren't new cars.
A lot of street based cars that became race cars certainly went through
what you described as that ongoing metamorphasis from one style or group
to the next but those aren't so hard to figure out as you say they may
not have great provenence.I am sure most older race cars have had fairly
rough lifes but boy did people really beat the crap out of the cheap
Japanese cars. When I restore street Car for my customers we do make
them better than they ever were new but we do so because they cost alot
to do and the customer usually makes the decision on how far to go but
we build drivers and not trailer Queens which I find nothing wrong with
that either with the values of some of the cars out there. It was
interesting to find out that another friend told me that most Shelby
Mustangs racing now are replicas as the originals are too valuable to be
raced but I sure that some of the ones I see are still the real thing
but it do make you wonder. As for the racing versus the show thing I
happen to race with a group that really races and we have had some
incidents to prove it I so far prefer the real racing aspects and that
creates the show so it seems as we have been invited to many events but
it is also only rather recently that most of the Japanese cars have been
allowed to start running out west at least the competitive years 68-72
and Now  that I am involved with racing I do understand the premise that
the guy with the Half million dollar cobra doesn't want to get wiped out
by the clapped out 3000$ Datsun or other marque. So I will listen
intently to what other have to say but all these cars really should be
on the track again maybe a little under restored.
Les

--
Les Cannaday

Classic Datsun Motorsports