Relicars vs. REAL

To: les@classicdatsun.com
Subject: Relicars vs. REAL
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:32:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/28/2003 11:37:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
les@classicdatsun.com writes:

> as the originals are too valuable to be
> raced

Les,

I don't buy this argument at all.  Whether its worth $10K, or $10M, it still
usually takes around $100K to put one seriously back together, pretty much no
matter what it is, and complete losses are rarely heard of since all you need
is the ID plate, log book, and your checkbook....anything is possible.  If you
can't afford the risk, then you shouldn't be playing the game.

Also, look at guys like David Love, Peter Giddings, Vic Edelbrock, Tom
Armstrong and others racing some the original cars.  They're bringing them out,
and
we should thank them every time we get to see 'em.

I'm completely against replicas being allowed to run.  This does degrade the
value and exclusivity of the real thing.   I suppose some would call my car a
replica, though.  Its a REAL Lotus Cortina, but just NOT a factory campaigned
race car, like many other production and production/sports cars that are
vintage racing today.   If replicas are deemed acceptable by some, then I think
all
cars entered in events need to be represented as what they are....a Mustang
in Shelby livery, or a Cortina in Locort Livery, or a D Jag reproduction, etc.

Recreating a new Cobra, Cobra Coupe, Lotus 23, D Jag, or any number of other
"parts bin" cars is not what vintage racing is all about.  Its a celebration
of the OLD cars, not NEW clones.  People building and buying replicas are
parasites on vintage racing, trying to make a buck capitalizing off someone
else's
success.  I think vintage race sanctioning bodies have to start saying NO more
often to the replicars, and/or competitors with REAL cars need to speak up
and protest when they're accepted.

Yes, I understand that some of these cars are quite expensive now and out of
the reach of many.  That's why they're exclusive, duh???   So, if you can't
afford to be in the game, maybe you shouldn't be playing at the $100 table when
you're more of a $2 player???   Again, just my thoughts...

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (the REAL thing) Cortina Mk1 #128