Re: Relicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Relicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
Boy - the routine annual winter topic is off to an early
start this year.

Myles Kitchen wrote "... complete losses are rarely heard
of since all you need is the ID plate, log book, and your
checkbook....anything is possible" - thus implying, if I
understand him correctly, that this ends up as a REAL car.

I suggest it would be a "replica with original ID plate".
Semantics I know but that's what that this routine
discussion as all about - and dollars.

Two comments -

1 - all race cars get rebuilt and repaired the more they
are raced. My current car had only two races on it (after
20 years) when I bought it. I've now added about 50 races
to it's tally - guess what? - even without any crashes it's
not nearly as original as it was!

2 - if we want "real" authenticity then we should ban
polished tubs and suspension pieces and modern high gloss
paints. And we should even ban overly clean cars. Race cars
were never like that in their day. Oh - silly me - people
who perpetrate the over polishing etc tend to be the ones
who argue most vehemently about their's being "real".

That's my $.02 for this winter.

Derek