Re: Somewhat off topic.....

To: gerrybraz@voyager.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Somewhat off topic.....
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:40:45 EST
In a message dated 1/30/2004 11:34:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gerrybraz@voyager.net writes:
My new Nissan Murano has 5 spoke wheels with lots of open area between
the spokes. We had a heavy snow recently and I noticed that there seemed
to be a lot of ice building up between the spokes. The next time I had
an occasion to drive on a highway I noticed I was getting a lot of
vibration when I got above 50. I immediately expected the ice buildup.
Since this was pretty annoying I went through a car wash and I asked
them to hit the wheels with their pressure wands to make sure they got
rid of the ice. This seemed to solve my problem.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? If so, does it build up
while driving at expressway speeds or only when you are driving around
town in slushy conditions? I hate to think I am going to have to find a
carwash every 100 or so miles....
Gerry,

When I was in the performance testing group we had that problem a lot during
winter tire testing.  Buildup was rarely when driving steadily at highway
speeds.  But it was not uncommon when driving in slushy condition on unplowed
roads for short distances then parking for awhile.

Given the list we're on, the simple solution is find your favorite race
circuit and do some hot laps in the SUV...that should warm the brakes etc up
nicely
and do some thawing...or the bumpy ride thru the rough after brake fade or
hitting the iced over apex will knock it loose!

Ken