Somewhat off topic.....

To: "Vintage race (Vintage race)" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Somewhat off topic.....
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:31:44 -0500
 Since there isn't much traffic I'll throw out something that is off
topic but something this group (at least the Northerners) might know
something about. It has to do with tires going out of balance because of
ice and snow buildup...

My new Nissan Murano has 5 spoke wheels with lots of open area between
the spokes. We had a heavy snow recently and I noticed that there seemed
to be a lot of ice building up between the spokes. The next time I had
an occasion to drive on a highway I noticed I was getting a lot of
vibration when I got above 50. I immediately expected the ice buildup.
Since this was pretty annoying I went through a car wash and I asked
them to hit the wheels with their pressure wands to make sure they got
rid of the ice. This seemed to solve my problem.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? If so, does it build up
while driving at expressway speeds or only when you are driving around
town in slushy conditions? I hate to think I am going to have to find a
carwash every 100 or so miles....