MG engine question

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG engine question
From: "Jerry Burr" <zero260@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:17:13 -0700
This is not a vintage race car problem but I'm hoping some one on the list
knows something I don't.
This one has me scratching my head. I recently got a 1953 MG TD Mk 2 that had
been off the road for maybe 20 years.I have gone through the wake up process
with many old cars and a lot of them were MGs......
My usual approach is to fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil and go away
for a day or two.........
Then pour more on the valve train and gently rock the car in gear to se if the
engine is free.. If free, then spin over with the starter until some oil
pressure shows.. Then start.....
Having done all this with the TD I had it running about 3 months ago. Started
and ran it many times. Did al the usual stuff, new hoses, go through the carbs
and fuel pump(s)..etc etc....It seemed to run well...No over heating, good oil
pressure at idle when hot.. Then I did the brakes ..New everything.. Lately
I've driven it around the block 3 or 4 times...Nice car.
Today when I tried to start it however, it just spun.. Spun freely as if the
plugs were out as if I were doing a compression test...Huh?.....Removed the
valve cover and I can see that 3 or 4 of the intake valves are hanging
open.Everything moves..The push rods push and the rockers rock. But those 3
valves just stick open...
Why ?.And why all of a sudden?? I just drove it last evening.. Only about 20
minutes to go get some gas (Shell unleaded).........And now no
Before I pull the head does anyone have any ideas as to what could have
happened??
Jerry Burr