MG TD Engine update

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG TD Engine update
From: "Jerry Burr" <zero260@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:12:08 -0700
First off, thanks to all those who responded to my MG TD engine
problem..Everyone seemed to think it was stuck valves.........Which it was,
and which I realized. What I was really wondering is how or why would 3 valves
stick open after all this time. As I said I had gone through the whole wake up
process some time ago and had the engine running very nicely for a while.. I
had it up to full operating temperature lots of times. It has been driven up
and down the street and around the block a dozen times. It had lots of marvel
Mystery oil run through it before it was started the first time and after too.
It had nice new oil in the crank case...And then 3 valves hang open
!...........
Well in any case I fixed it. Or at least for now "unstuck" the valves. And
being that it is a MG TD I used a hammer .
Just bumped it over on the starter and when a valve would stick down, I would
give it a smack and it would pop up. I just kept doing this until they stopped
sticking open. Kind of like "wack a mole"....
Once they were all coming back up on their own I turned on the ignition and it
started right up and purred.......
So now I guess the idea is to decide what magic chemical I should use to keep
things moving.... Brake cleaner, More Mystery oil and something called PB
Blaster has been suggested......One trick I have heard of and have used myself
is to run some 110 octane race gas through the system....Supposedly cleans out
old varnish real well.....I actually did run some race gas through it in when
I first started it, but not much.....
Again thanks for all the input...It's nice to have all those vintage brains to
pick...
Jerry Burr