SCCA at Laguna Seca

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: SCCA at Laguna Seca
From: "Trenholme, Phil" <Phil_Trenholme@affymetrix.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:16:27 -0700
I have raced my Porsche 356 in both the Small Bore Loud and Quiet
groups. Expect the Loud small bore group to get close to 60 entries, it
gets exciting out there and yes some of the cars are very fast.......I
recall a non-vintage legal TR6 that lapped me after about 6 laps! The
small bore class will have 10-15 cars and you may find yourself all
alone after a few laps as the cars get spread out. Last year  a 550
Spyder won this group turning 1:58's! The only "problem" with this group
is that you are in the first practice (8:30) in the morning and then in
the last race of the day (4:30) due to the sliding noise allowance,
which means you might be out in heavy Fog first thing in the morning and
possibly in the afternoon.

For some additional excitement you can also sign up for the USSRC
Seniors Tour Race held during lunch on Sunday (a bargain for an extra
$100). I have done this twice and if you are in a small bore production
car you can expect to get passed twice during the course of the race!
Since this is a series race with points and trophies the drivers tend to
be more aggressive than what you might see in a typical vintage race ( I
still have a very slight crease in my door from a very ambitious driver
in a Sports Racer). This is a full 30 minute race and although a lot of
fun there may be some carnage and you will spend a lot of time watching
your mirrors.

I will also say this event is very professional, well organized and the
SCCA is very good about sticking to the schedule. The Tech is also more
detailed than some events and they will check everything so make sure
fire bottle is in the Green area, belts up to date, etc.

Phil Trenholme

Santa Cruz, CA

1965 C Coupe #152