Re: Trailer Tire Wear

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailer Tire Wear
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:30:56 -0400
At 10:12 AM 09/28/2005 -0500, Karnopp, Roger J wrote:
>When fully loaded up with car and gear it weighs over 8K pounds.
>1972 Titan FF

Wow, that's a heavy rig to carry one FF...

You might want to check the end float on the trailer wheel bearings.

I carry a TR4 and spares and gear in an 18 foot CarMate with a Vee nose,
and I tip the scales well under 7000 pounds. I figure I have about 30k
miles on my trailer with the original Goodyear tires. The tires were
wearing great.

Last month we are sitting in the paddock at Mosport and I realized I was
wearing the inside edge of one tire. No tread left on the inner inch and a
half or so, but the rest of the tire looked fine.

Upon investigation I found a loose wheel bearing. I pulled it all apart,
and thankfully I found no damage. I simply repacked the bearings and
readjusted the end float. I checked the other 3 trailer wheels and found
them fine. I ran the tire with the worn inner edge rather than the spare
that has a plug in it, and had no problems with the trailer tires getting
home.