zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] Magnette values and stated value for insurance <zmagnett

To: "'List for the Z Magnette Group - North America'" <zmagnette@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] Magnette values and stated value for insurance <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: "John Park" <jpark@bmts.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:54:40 -0400
Well I don't know about most of you and your cars but I do have a good idea
of what it costs to refresh/restore your typical car whether it be a
Plymouth Fury, MGB, TR6 or Magnette. It isn't cheap. Yes, most of our cars
are undervalued especially those of us who have gone and done the big deal.
Just ask your body shop what a good  paint job costs, now go and ask your
favorite chrome shop how much to do your chrome, then see the interior
fellow for the cost of quality carpet and headlining and if you have
leather, how much per hide and how many hides (mine was 5!), then there is
all the mechanical bits to do over and the list goes on. Sure you can do it
all yourself for 10 cents an hour and I admire those who have the skills,
talent and tools to do a superb job. I'm not one of those so I have to work
hard at something I am good at and contract out these other jobs to people
who can do a good job and one I'm satisfied with and proud to own. We have
rare cars and even if there were 10 times as many, they are still expensive
to do over. Like they say, start with a million and you end up with 10000
after restoring cars. You might be lucky and get a well done machine for
peanuts because the owner wants to move on to other projects or in an estate
sale and that is fine, but remember someone put a lot of effort, money and
love into getting that car done well. So don't begrudge those of us who do
that by saying it's only a car and a bit of dust or rain on it, who cares.
Well, it's an investment and we should respect the owners point of view even
if we don't agree with it. We all love these cars whether they are rust
buckets or show winners. Like Aretha sang, RESPECT. My insurance company
didn't have any problems with my appraisal and didn't even feel the need to
see all my receipts as they know what it costs to restore a car. Hopefully I
never need to ask them for it, but if I do, at least I'll get something
close to what I have in it. If I sell it, I won't get anywhere near what it
is worth because too many people want it all for nothing or as close to
nothing as they can get. Nothing fair in that approach. Sometimes you have
other needs, desires or just fall out of love with the machine and you want
to move on, so you just push it out to the first person that doesn't insult
you with a low ball offer. The insurance company didn't seem to have a
problem with the miniscule track record of public sales of Magnettes in the
last 10 years and as I said above, they know what these things cost. Maybe
having a good appraiser helps too. Especially one who knows where to find
information on obscure cars. The first insurance company I went to sent me
an appraiser who said my car wasn't a real MG because MG only made sports
cars. On to the one I have now who were more knowlegeable and realistic in
their thinking.