zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] Magnette values and stated value for insurance <zmagnett

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] Magnette values and stated value for insurance <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: CHRIS KOTTING <chris.kotting@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:56:36 -0400

--089e0149ce5ceddf7b04e9cd778a

I don't have classic car insurance on our Magnette.  We want to drive it
more regularly than classic policies will allow.  We have it on our regular
insurance on a stated value basis.  Not all insurers will do that, but
Motorists Mutual does (shameless plug for one of the two major insurers
headquartered here in Columbus, Ohio.)

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>wrote:

> I have a ZA and an MGA.  I wonder how many people have a Magnette and an
> MGA.  I've definitely heard of others.  As for insurance, have you had a
> classic car insurance company refuse to insure for your stated value?  I
> have found them to be pretty flexible, but I haven't tried to request
> anything too crazy.  I think the only reason for them to hesitate is that
> they don't want you to be able to put a match to it to make a profit.  I
> bet there are people on this list who have their Magnettes insured for 25K.
>  I am just guessing, though.  I suppose we will get some data points
> shortly.  Has anyone had an insurance company refuse to give you as high a
> stated value as you wanted?
>
> -Steve T.
>

> At 07:20 PM 10/25/2013, Mike wrote:
>
>> SteveT, I'm with you except for one thing - value for repair or
>> replacement after an accident or other incident.
>>
>> If nice Magnettes were trading at around $10K, while they cost upwards of
>> $20K to get to that condition, you can be in a bind even with a stated
>> value policy. Is your underwriter going to go for you asking for $25K of
>> coverage for a car that trades for $10K? Perhaps not.
>>
>> But if the cars are trading in the $20K range, or to put it another way,
>> trading at a price that approximates what it would cost to duplicate the
>> car, getting them properly insured becomes easier.
>>
>> I'm not even going to consider the super-deluxe cars out there, the ones
>> with A/C, breathed-upon motors, and so on.
>>
>> I don't think the sedans will ever be as popular or pricey as the sports
>> cars, for all the same reasons that the sedans were widely outsold by the
>> sports cars when they were new. I've never really understood that, but
>> that's how it is. I have both a ZB and an MGA, and the ZB is the much nicer
>> (& rarer!) car. Go figure.
>>
>> Mike

--089e0149ce5ceddf7b04e9cd778a

 We want to drive it more regularly than classic policies will allow.=A0 We=
 have it on our regular insurance on a stated value basis.=A0 Not all insur=
ers will do that, but Motorists Mutual does (shameless plug for one of the =
two major insurers headquartered here in Columbus, Ohio.)<br>
 Oct 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Steven Trovato <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:strovato@optonline.net" target=3D"_blank">strovato@optonline.net</a>&=
gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I have a ZA and an MGA. =A0I wonder how many=
 people have a Magnette and an MGA. =A0I&#39;ve definitely heard of others.=
 =A0As for insurance, have you had a classic car insurance company refuse t=
o insure for your stated value? =A0I have found them to be pretty flexible,=
 but I haven&#39;t tried to request anything too crazy. =A0I think the only=
 reason for them to hesitate is that they don&#39;t want you to be able to =
put a match to it to make a profit. =A0I bet there are people on this list =
who have their Magnettes insured for 25K. =A0I am just guessing, though. =
=A0I suppose we will get some data points shortly. =A0Has anyone had an ins=
urance company refuse to give you as high a stated value as you wanted?<br>

-Steve T.<br>
At 07:20 PM 10/25/2013, Mike wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
SteveT, I&#39;m with you except for one thing - value for repair or replace=
ment after an accident or other incident.<br>
If nice Magnettes were trading at around $10K, while they cost upwards of $=
20K to get to that condition, you can be in a bind even with a stated value=
 policy. Is your underwriter going to go for you asking for $25K of coverag=
e for a car that trades for $10K? Perhaps not.<br>

But if the cars are trading in the $20K range, or to put it another way, tr=
ading at a price that approximates what it would cost to duplicate the car,=
 getting them properly insured becomes easier.<br>
I&#39;m not even going to consider the super-deluxe cars out there, the one=
s with A/C, breathed-upon motors, and so on.<br>
I don&#39;t think the sedans will ever be as popular or pricey as the sport=
s cars, for all the same reasons that the sedans were widely outsold by the=
 sports cars when they were new. I&#39;ve never really understood that, but=
 that&#39;s how it is. I have both a ZB and an MGA, and the ZB is the much =
nicer (&amp; rarer!) car. Go figure.<br>

Mike<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www=