[6pack] Lug nut thread size

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Wed Jul 16 09:05:39 MDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Scott Tilton wrote:

> on a related note - has anyone ever put longer studs onto the rear hub of a
> TR6?

Yep, been there, done that.

> I'm sure people have.
>
> So the more appropriate question is - has anyone done it with an off the
> shelf part and without having to modify the TR6 hub.  (drill out the hole to
> accomodate a larger diameter knurl)

I wound up with two possible solutions. I forget the exact dimensions, but
there are Mr. Gasket 3" studs with a knurl that is almost exactly the same
as the stock studs which I seem to recall as .560 or something like that.
These are 1/2-20 studs. Nice and beefy.

If you want off-the shelf from the go-fast places, Moroso has 1/2-20 studs
3" long that come in 5-packs. Those have a larger knurl (.615???) so you
have to ream the holes out to get 'em to fit. I was doing a pile of hubs
when I did this, so I contacted a tool supply place and got a proper sized
reamer and then get the hubs and tool mo a machinist. I still have the
reamer (somewhere) if you go that route.

If you need the Moroso part numbers, let me know. I have a few spares in
the garage (in the blister pack), but I got 'em from Summit Racing.

Now the bad news - I'm pretty sure the only way you can get 3" studs in is
to pop the hub apart. The long studs won't clear the bearing carrier.

rml