[6pack] Six inch speakers?

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Mon Oct 6 12:04:07 MDT 2008

        Dave:

        The problem with 6" speakers is that there is little material left for
structural support after you carve up the kidney pads to make them fit. The
kidney pads need a certain amount of stiffness and ruggedness to survive, and
6" speakers would significantly degrade this. How successful you would be is a
matter of conjecture on my part, since I have not tried it, but I would say
that the 4" speaker kidney pads are none too robust to start with.
        Now, perhaps if you used 3/16" plywood instead of fiberboard you could
go with 6", but then you would be making your own kidney pads. While making
your own would be pretty simple (plywood, black vinyl, 1/2" foam and some
staples) it might be more work than you would prefer.
        The other question is how worthwhile would it be. The location of the
speakers in the kidney pads is a disaster for fidelity. You might consider
putting the effort into mounting speakers on the parcel shelf  and a subwoofer
in the passenger footwell, for example.
        Don't forget that the original radios only put out 2-3 watts per
channel, flea power by today's standards, so you would be looking at a
separate amp(s), or some sort of high powered head unit. Then there is the
issue of getting enough juice out of the alternator for modern electronics,
etc, etc, etc. Sigh.
        That's why I never turn on the radio in the six, and instead listen to
the siren song of the motor.

        Vance

      Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom