[6pack] Floorpan replacement and Rust repair quote...

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Thu Jun 11 13:25:16 MDT 2015

James,
I did not do the rust repair on my TR250, but since I'm also a Model T
guy, I have done my share.  I agree with everyone that suggested
patching.  A good butt weld can't be distinguished from original metal
and is just as strong.  When I had the rockers repaired, I bought the
replacement piece.  Since it was just rusted at the front, the body guy
suggested we just cut off the front part and weld it in, because he
could not duplicate the original spot welds. I'd suggest you get a 110V
MIG welder (Lincoln or Miller).  They are cheaper and easier to use than
a TIG, but you will have to do some grinding. If money is an issue, I
have also used good old fashioned gas hammer welding.  Here is an
example of stuff I've done with my MIG - www.mtfctulsa.com/ABC_Bodies.
Oklahoma is 49th in education, but our Vo-Tech schools are excellent.
I'd recommend that as a good way to learn.

I should also mention that I did not set out to make my car a show car
and do not drive it like one.  I did want to keep it original, because
back in the day, I didn't have the money to modify it.  As far as costs
go,  you can figure about 1K for a careful media blast and probably 1K
in paint and materials (base coat/clear coat).  Its worth it, because
modern catalyzed primer and paints are much better than original. I know
the guy spent at least a couple of full weeks working on it.  On top of
those costs, I also stripped my frame and had it blasted and epoxy
primed.  I know you don't want to do all of this now, but if you have to
take the body off, then .......
Larry Young