[Autox] Towing discussion - another view point

George Ryan george.ryan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 10 14:00:28 MST 2009

All excellent points, Paul

But there is another point of view that i would like to address. When it comes
to single axle trailers let's take a moment and talk about where the rubber
meets the road - the tires/wheels/hubs.

First the tires - trailer tires lead a different life from the tires on your
truck. Trailer tires generally sit for days and weeks - even months - without
ever turnng a revolution. Then they are expected to haul a lot of weight at
speed almost instantaneously before they sit for more days, weeks, etc.

If there is anybody that pulls a trailer with any consistancy that hasn't had
a tire blow out while under tow, raise your hand! These tires can look good
(no weather checking, proper pressures, good tread  - I don't think I have
ever seen a bald trailer tire, FWIW . . ) and still let go in an instant.

And don't forget the not uncommon bearing and/or hub failure - even with
proper greasing, torquing, and care. Then you have to consider the quality of
the average trailer wheel . .

When a trailer tire lets go (and one will sooner or later), a hub comes apart,
or one of those cheap trailer wheels decides to come unglued - - I like the
idea of having another axle on that side of the trailer!

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, autox-request at autox.team.net