[Bmcu] Got ZINC ?

Adamant adamant at xmission.com
Thu May 30 08:04:37 MDT 2013

 Also having been down the trashed camshaft experience, Mike, what is the make of additive that you use?

I was curious about this whole zinc additive and tried some online research. My interest is in super hypergrades (as they used to be called in the UK) specifically 5w50. Overall it does look like they enjoy a greater zinc content but information I have found it impossible to compare.
CERCLA requires these numbers, but zinc content is shown differently in every document I have checked:
Castrol declares a "concentration" of 0.57-1.14 (whatever that means)
Mobil1 declares 1100ppm, another I didn't write down was shown in lbs!

I did note that regular, common grades of oil do tend to contain much less additive than more performance grades. Some 10w30's had none. One, (Champion new energy 5w30) has 0.5-1.5%!!
BTW, The reason for this is that higher amounts of additive are slowly detrimental to catalytic converters and are not environmentally friendly
--
Adam King.