[Bmcu] Eureka!!

R J DAVIS rogerdavis87 at msn.com
Sun Apr 5 18:51:40 MDT 2015

It was a beautiful Saturday morning when 34 BMCU members, from 2 states, with 22 cars met for a leisurely drive along the scenic west side of Utah Lake, to the quaint mining town of Eureka.  This was the first outing for the 2015 driving season and an excellent turnout of LBCs.  It was fantastic to see such support from the ladies on the tour.  I hope that you will continue to come along.

We took lunch orders with the knowledge that when we arrived at our destination, our food would be ready.  The excellent weather made "tops down" the order of the day.  Along the route, before our "drain & gain" stop in Saratoga Springs, Murphy raised his head with my cell phone ringing.  Jill took the call since I was busy piloting our Alpine.  The wind noise prevented me from hearing exactly what was being said, but the gist of the call was that that the cook, in Eureka, was very sick and would not be working.  The kind folks at the Fill-R-Up said that they would still try very hard to make everything right.  Thankfully, the cruise participants took the news in stride, saying, "no problem, we drive British cars and know that stuff happens."

Continuing south to Elberta, the road was nearly empty with virtually no one going either direction.  Our intrepid newsletter editor, Rob Foye, dashed out ahead and set up to take photos of our group as we went by.  (see the Newsletter for pictures)  If anyone has pictures from the event, please feel free to add them.

When we arrived in Eureka, the folk there had realized that the cook had already prepared some pulled pork since it takes 12 hours to cook it.  Many of us partook of the pork in very tasty sandwiches.  The hogie sandwiches were good, also, and we sat around two picnic tables they had rustled up for us.  Then several pizza's of various types started arriving!

We were all careful not to block any entrances or exits to the small convenience store, but wow, did we put on a car show for the locals.  Lots of questions asked, along with the usual "I used to have one of those" comments.  We were even invited back in August for the parade!

After enjoying the hospitality of Eureka and finishing our lunches, we divided up into several smaller groups and left town in a couple of directions.  One group headed back east, down the hill, retracing our route.  Two other groups headed west out of town and then turned north toward Tooele.  The lead group continued onto Tooele while the second group turned east just before getting to Tooele and went over Five Mile Pass, through Fairfield and Cedar Fort , back to Saratoga Springs and SLC.  Those of us who headed west were paced by a long freight train heading north, also.  The engineer of the train must be a British car fan because as each car went past the locomotive, he would individually give a couple of toots on his air horn for the vehicle.  Way cool!!!

The following were signed in for the Eureka Run.  I apologize in advance for anyone I missed or misspelling of your names.  I believe there must be some doctors in our group.

Roger & Jill Davis, John Progess, Dave & Julie Spendlove, Rich Weyland, Larry Farrington, Paul Jaroch, Rob & Paula McNair, Jerry Bletzacker, Don & Julie McEligot, Jim Stover, Wade & Ally Ashby, Werner Prochasva, Frank & Vickie Mousley, Gary Lindstrom, Kevin Cowan, Ari Ioannides, Jason & Stacy Underwood, Wayne & Linda Mortensen, Steen & Arlene Sorensen, Pat & Donna Rider, Drew Frink, Doug & Peggy Wright