Update on SB 6900 Vehicle Fees

Bob Poague rapoague at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 14:05:34 MST 2008

I contacted the three representatives of my Legislative District. Their
replies follow. It appears the SB 6900 bill is dead for this session, but
we'd better stay tuned.

Bob

Robert:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding SB 6900 (establishing vehicle engine
displacement and emissions fees).  SB 6900 would establish a new carbon
tax based on the size of a vehicle engine and eventually charges the fee
based on the amount of carbon emitted per mile.  This bill would be a
massive tax increase on working families simply for owning a motor
vehicle.  According to the Office of Financial Management, SB 6900 would
result in a $1.7 billion tax increase just in the first five years of
implementation and could be substantially higher in future years.

I wanted to provide you with a quick update and let you know that SB
6900 failed to pass out of the Senate prior to the cut-off deadline for
bills to pass out of their House of origin, which was February 19, 2008.
Therefore, it is not likely that this bill will be successful this
Session.

I wanted to let you know that for the most part, if a bill has not
passed out of their House of origin, it is no longer eligible for
further consideration.  However, there are always exceptions.    If for
any reason SB 6900 is resurrected and makes its way through the
Legislative process I will NOT be supporting this bill.  This bill would
penalize those who need to drive bigger vehicles (such as trucks or
SUVs) for family or business reasons.  The bill also singles out people
who drive older vehicles because of financial or other reasons.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office.  Your input
helps to better serve the constituents of the 20th Legislative District.

Sincerely,

Richard DeBolt
Republican Leader
20th Legislative District
(786) 786-7896

Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to email me in regards to Senate Bill
6900. As you may know, this session is a short session - only sixty days
- and because of it, not all bills can be heard or passed.

SB 6900 was sitting on the Senate Committee on Water and Energy &
Telecommunications, but on the 5th of February, this bill was held in
executive session where it was referred to Senate Transportation.

Just for your information, this bill has not held a public hearing, and
with the cut off date being last week, this bill is dead - unless by
some miraculous miracle, this bill will not be heard of again of this
session.  If this bill were to be reintroduced again next session, I
would vote adamantly against it.

Again, thank you for your email, if you have any other questions or
concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best Wishes,

Senator Dan Swecker
20th Legislative District
(360) 756.763