[Roadsters] Fuel Line size

Jim In Virginia wrenchorhammer at live.com
Wed Feb 25 17:34:07 MST 2009

I think since fuel is being lifted out of the tank by suction (drawing a
vacuum), that it is good engineering practice to size the suction line a size
bigger than the pressure line, to ensure enough fuel will be present at the
inlet of the pump to avoid vapor lock or pump cavitation problems under high
demand conditions.

No matter if its gas, oil, or water or some other liquid, pumps drawing on
anything needing suction lift usually have the suction line bigger.

I can get out my engineering rule of thumb equations and try to prove it
mathamatically, but "good engineering practice" is a lot easier.

Best Regards,

Jim

Chesapeake

Virginia