[Roadsters] 1970 1600

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Sep 5 14:28:58 MDT 2011

Girault,

I don't think ignition (electrical) will make much difference in the amount
of air/fuel drawn into each cylinder on each stroke.  I think the carbs are
out of balance.  The idle mixtures are probably off, as well.  And, ignition
problems could be contributing to the rough idle.  You want the air flow to
match with the engine idling at about 700 rpm.  You'll need an airflow meter
of some sort -- like a UniSyn to do that.  Skilled mechanics can balance
carbs by listening to the hissing noise, but I am not one of those.

You need to have the ignition right before you can properly adjust the
carbs:  good plugs, proper plug gap, correct dwell and timing.  You can
probably rough them in without the ignition being correct, but I always make
sure the ignition is right before I start on the carbs.

Gary