[Roadsters] Alternator question

Stan Wilkins ragtopman1601 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 16:43:55 MDT 2012

Back in my much misspent youth I ran an auto electric shop.  Not that I
was much of a technician but I employed some really sharp guys and had a
partner with whom I'm still friends who is one of the best techs in the
state.  (The local ambulance companies have him build replacement
electronic flashers for the extra emergency lighting on their rigs; the
stock ones just don't hold up.) We built and installed many GM one wire
units; the hot rod guys always wanted chromed ones.  We also had what we
called piggy back regulators which would plug into the place where the
stock wiring plug would go.  There were many alternators which we could
get piggy backs for including most Fords.  The hot rod guys who had Ford
motors really liked that 'cause they didn't want any dadgum Chevy parts
on their Fords.  Point is that the one wire alternative is viable and
long lasting.  If part replacement when away from home is a concern
carry a spare one wire regulator in your took kit so that you can get an
alternator from any parts house and install the regulator in your hotel
room.

FrankenStan