[Roadsters] Molded Radiator Hose Alternative for 1600's

Roy Haslett hrhaslett at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 15:33:24 MDT 2012

In my search for an alternative molded lower hose for my early 67 1600, Walt
Peterson suggested an alternative where you can get both upper and lower hoses
out of one hose.  I have tried it and happy to report it worked very well.
The hose is a Gates 21162 lower molded hose, 1-1/4" ID.  This hose has a sharp
bend on one end that attaches to the the water pump .  The opposite end has a
gentle bend which will become the upper hose.  Measuring from the gentle bend
end, measure 9" up on the OUTSIDE curve of bend,  cut the hose square and
clean (I used a simple razor knife).  This cut off end is now your new upper
hose.
Install the now shorter lower hose at the radiator end first, do not
tighten the clamp yet.  Install the other sharp curved end onto the water
pump, again do not clamp down yet.  Now look down and check that you have
clearance from the fan belt and pulley.  If  the hose is touching or too close
for comfort all you need to do is reach down and give the hose a little twist
on the bottom end to the right to create more space.  That should do it.  Now
tighten those clamps.  The upper hose installs simply.  It will go on either
way, but try both because one way fits better.  I installed these on my stock
67 1600 with stock radiator and shroud and stock thermostat housing.
I ordered
the hose from Amazon.com for 10 bucks and change (Pick Pro Parts is the
vendor).
Not too bad, huh?  Two molded hoses for $10 +
 As a back up I also
ordered Gates hose 20900 Upper Molded Hose in case the cut off piece didn't
work.  This fits perfectly as well, however, it is a 1-1/2" ID so it requires
more clamping to fit tight.  Cost was about $6.
While you are at it get a new
fanbelt, Gates 7395, from the same vendor.  This is the good  toothed belt.  I
think it was only $7.

Good Luck!
Roy
'67 1600