[Roadsters] Pulling roadster engine - Van Nuys - Sunday November 25th

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:49:42 MST 2012

Engine out, Tranny disconnected, bell housing removed/cleaned (v. messy)
So now cleanup
Since the fire there are certain issues to be addressed and given that I have
to remove the dash to get it fixed, I am going to really try and sort the car
out. Deadline is February 1st - get engine sorted - obviously - seriously
pretty up the engine compartment, R&R all electrical bits - wiring etc - just
go through the entire engine compartment/under dash once (and hopefully) for
all.
SERIOUS paint will have to wait, but I want it to look presentably trashed -
ratsunish perhaps.
I just want to get it sorted so that it just DRIVES - albeit getting the under
dash etc. stuff FINALLY sorted.
R&R on a roadster isn't a big problem -
Hood first - then ??
Speedo - need access before the tranny drops
8 drive train bolts
8 tranny  mounts (10) if you include the rubber mount)
4 engine mounts
speedo
reverse light connex
clutch slave (2)
alternator (3) + 3 connex
Temp sender
Starter (3) including ground
Oil
Fuel
Various hoses
distributor
ignition
Radiator/Coolant
Battery/Grounds
Shifter
Backup switch
Fan
Throttle/Choke
Hood - hello

pluis a couple I can't think of right now

If all is cleanish - it's 3 hours - unless you are Kevin ( 2 - hours) - e.g. I
spent 20 minutes getting off a really stiff engine mount bolt with a nylock -
having to hold down both top and bottom (not going back I assure you)

The rest is getting the hoist connected (depending on the hoist) and then just
getting the angles right for extraction
That took 20 minutes - under flashlight - no less -

Thanks for your interest.

Peter Harrison
818 448 3181

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:37:31 -0700
> From: ragtopman1601 at hotmail.com
> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Pulling roadster engine - Van Nuys - Sunday
November 25th

> I can relate; a few weekends ago I pulled the 460 out of my F350. Took
> me and a friend 7 hours.  He is a former Ford wrench and I've twisted
> wrenches on and off professionally for 30 years.  I live in Arizona so
> there isn't a rust issue; it just takes a long time to get stuff done.
> And now that I'm an old guy it takes even longer!
>
> Stan
>
> On 11/26/2012 10:16 PM, Linda J wrote:
> > He just got the engine out tonite. Sun afternoon was taking things off and
prepping engine to come out. That takes a surprising amount of time I think.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/ljordan704@netscape.ne