[Roadsters] Not a very interesting topic so far today, but I'm new so let's try this: dieseling out

chalsted at comcast.net chalsted at comcast.net
Sun Feb 23 08:31:11 MST 2014

Hi Chris,
there's always lots of possibilities... fluid in the carb pots should be 20w,
ATF, Marvel Mystery oil...don't mix and match though. I use a Q-tip to remove
the old oil. front and rear should be the same level between the 2 lines on
each. it's possible that even though your plugs look fine, you may have a
carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and when that's hot it can make it
run on a bit...try Sea Foam (name of product) for that. the knurled knobs
underneath the carb bodys- how far out are they? run them all the way up and
then I think it's 1 1/4 turn back out. this creates a pool of gas in the
center of the bottom of the carb, if it's not enough it will stumble when you
open it wide up (not enough gas for the air) make sure the balancing tubes
under the carbs are clean, float levels proper. think it's 9/16ths from the
hat to the top of the float. could be wrong :-) are the slides in the domes
lifting and dropping properly? if not, pull the domes and clean up the
pistons. when you put the dome back on, don't tighten the screws all the way
to start- leave a little loose. the domes will move around just a little bit,
find the position that allows the piston to lift and drop most smoothly and
then tighten down. consider buying a dvd on SU's :-)
Craig