[JONAT] Costs and revenue

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Feb 26 09:39:01 2004

Bob,

I sympathize with you, really. I've put together tours for our club.
Dick Hile and I actually spent a bunch of time putting together a 1000
miler to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and had less that ten cars
RSVP affirmatively. Time was the factor for most. No one wanted to take
a day or so off work. Fortunately, we had no memorabilia. The only cost
was our time. As the day approached and a few people dropped out
reducing the number down to five, I was really disappointed, but you
know what? It turned out great. With only five cars (two being Dick and
I -- 9 people total), we didn't have to worry about people getting lost.
What one experienced, we all experienced. We could all fit around a
table for meals. Early on, when I realized that there weren't going to
be that many takers, the weight of trying to arrange special room rates
was lifted.

One of the best parts of the trip, for me, was the ability, on the spur
of the moment, to take a detour into a Hopi (indian) village that I had
visited twenty-five years earlier. I couldn't have done that with twenty
cars -- they wouldn't have fit! So we put on a mini car show and the
villagers came out with kachinas, sand paintings, and drawings for sale.
I bought some partly because they are excellent artists, and partly
because they were so hospitable.

The three people who joined Dick and I raved about what a great time
they had, and we spent a lot of time the final evening speculating about
routes to take in the future. (For pictures, see
http://www.jcca.us/Articles/NRimPr02/INDEX.HTM.) JONAT filled the bill
nicely. Too bad it falls on a college reunion year which means my wife
and I don't have as much vacation time to travel farther. In two years
we may be able to go farther.

Remember, charity is what you can afford. If we are going to do this
again, we should save a couple thousand to cover the advance costs plus
whatever it costs to formally organize. Whatever's left goes to charity.
That's how our club works it.

This is the first year. JONAT is not a recognized organization. The
organizers are unknown. We're behind (i.e. most of the stuff we're
talking about should have been decided 3-6 months ago). We have no major
sponsors. But other than the license plates, we have no costs to speak
of. If we have five sign ups per sector (30, right?), we will not have
any problem covering costs. It will be much easier next time.

So, although I started my previous post on a note of frustration, I hope
I ended up sounding positive.

Mark - AZ (only North if you're in Mexico ;->)