[Mg-t] Running Board Tread Strips

Wayne Francis whfrancis at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 5 14:10:56 MST 2016

 .  While perusing the Moss catalog I ran across their nut and bolt kit for attaching the treads for TC, TD, TF.  I was curious to see what they were and got the set.  The installation info for the product includes the following:
 For years, the correct (and very small) carriage bolts used to attach the strips to the running boards were simply not available. We found a small, specialty manufacturer of odd automotive fasteners in 2004 that was willing to supply us with a hardware kit with 20 each of the 4BA nuts and 4BA carriage bolts. This Hardware Kit (280-058) makes it possible to fit the 281-248 running board strip set using the proper “as original” fasteners. We do not include them in the 281-248 strip kit because some people prefer to use 1/8" pop rivets.
   I was surprised to see this product.  I know my early TD treads were riveted on, and I had to break the rivet to get the treads off.  I had never heard of these "as original" little nuts and bolts.  Does anyone know the history of these fasteners and where or when they were used?  I was just going to pop-rivet the treads back on, but is there any reason to install these for "originality"?
Wayne