[Mgb-v8] For Clarity -- shortened water pump

GrayTesla at aol.com GrayTesla at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 14:26:41 MDT 2008

Let me offer my limited knowledge on modified cooling systems for our
favorite 215 engine.

My applications have been limited to a Chevrolet Vega and to various
iterations in Chevrolet Corvairs. The Vega presented no problem as the standard water
pump and stock radiator kept everything appropriately cool. The Corvairs were
another matter.

There are two shelves in my garage filled with sundry high priced electric
fans of different sizes and various manufacturers. There are also modified front
covers which were combined with JabsCo electric water pumps and at least
three different custom radiators. The vehicles in question were being prepare to
be driven daily.

With all of that said, I have also played with various pulley arrangements,
both at the crank and at the water pump, and the alignment of those two pulley
becomes more an issue if the vehicle is driven in a "sporting" manner.

So, the intent of my first post was not to criticize Barrie's shortened water
pump but to inquire about its fitment. Personal experience has shown that
such matters can make the difference between a pleasant car and a troublesome
car.

I am YET interested in that 3" pump and would yet like to hear a price. If in
the final analysis the lower crankshaft pulley is problematic, which I
believe it will be, it becomes an invitation for creative problem solving.

Best to you all,

Darius

deal here.