[Nobbc] Communication

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:40:01 MST 2009

Hi Sarto,
You expressed the method we typically try to use, for the most part.
Being in the front of a long line of cars, like the 14 cars we had
Saturday, it is more difficult than you might imagine to pull over
whenever the group is split up, and not always safe. However, your point
about taking hands off the wheel to talk on the radio is a good one. A
navigator helps, as does using the radios only when necessary, say when
a group does get left behind at a light or someone makes a wrong turn,
both of which can mean a lot of waiting on the shoulder, or leaving
someone behind.
It's not usually an issue with our group, but does tend to happen more
with routes that take us through lots of street lights, or with larger
convoys. I think that radios can be used safely, and can be of value on
some of our drives.
I've tried the high-tech bread crumb idea; that is, leaving a gps or
radio on top of the vehicle and driving away, flinging the device to the
roadway. Works great!
Cheers,
Greg