[Shop-talk] solar power for battery charger..

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:56:54 MDT 2014

Are you sure it is putting out 1000W at 12 VDC?  That's not really possible
if the input really is 72W.   Seems like 1000ma (1A, 12W) is more
realistic.

Assuming that's the case you need a solar cell and a solar controller that
can output the same amperage.  So roughly a 12 watt solar cell will do the
job in full sun aimed correctly.  In real life, if you don't want to be
constantly moving the solar cell a 15 watt panel and a 12V lead acid
battery would be ideal.  I used this one: http://amzn.com/B004FOGG1E along
with a sealed AGM lead acid battery.  The nice thing about this arrangement
is that the surplus sun is stored in the lead acid battery, and the charge
controller regulates the supply to whatever you want to run.  You could get
away without the 12V lead acid, but you would not get as much power from
your solar cell as you would with it.

Placing and aiming the panel are critical.  There are lots of web sites
that explain this better than I can, but the important thing to remember is
that the angle of the sun is not the only factor to consider.  If you are
going to mount it in a fixed location, you must also consider the
prevailing weather at your location (ie is it more often cloudy in the
morning, or in the afternoon?).