[Shop-talk] need a new router

Donald H Locker dhlocker at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 14:06:58 MDT 2020

I went to my ISP's website and chose a modem that they supported (Cisco
DPC3008) and a separate router (Linksys EA3500.) A short Ethernet (RJ45
on each end) cable connects them and the router gives the WiFi and a few
hardwired connections. Works a treat.

The modem needs to be compatible with your ISP and carrier's modulation
scheme; almost any modern router should be compatible, but look for NAT
(Network Address Translation) and Firewall features. Those give you
somewhat more security. Set a VERY strong password on your WiFi (I would
say 20 characters is a minimum and should include all those wonky
characters that are hard to type.) If yours has a guest WiFi, leave that
turned off unless you actually have a guest and change that password
with each new guest that comes/goes.

HTH,
Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail