[Shotimes] Almost death by SUV

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:12:18 -0500

On a more serious note, I don't totally agree with your statement about "No
telling how many deaths could be prevented if every car was as capable and
responsive as an SHO". Good-handling cars can cause as many problems as they
solve.  Bad driver scan screw things up with an SUV or an ordinary vehicle.

It seems almost weekly where there is a crash where someone drops a wheel
off the pavement, then overcorrects and flies across the road to doom.  With
a good-handling car, you cross the median and get into a head-on bloodbath.
With a top-heavy SUV, you roll over soon after getting back on the roadway
in your direction of travel. No one may even get injured with the SUV
rollover, but a head-on is gonna be ugly, This is pure driver incompetence,
everyone is taught to not crank the wheel when this happens, but they do it
anyway.

As has been said, there is nothing wrong with SUVs, Talking on the phone,
etc, but it's how you deal with it as a driver.

Frankly, I'm very tired of the SUV bashing, particularly when it's done by
car enthusiasts.  They are very useful vehicles that serve practical needs.
Of course they don't handle like a Porsche.........but neither does a SHO, a
Saturn, a minivan, or a Buick LeSabre. Drivers who aren't aware enough to
adjust to their vehicle and driving conditions deserve what they
get......it's called "thinning the herd".....the only downside is that
innocent people get taken out with them. But, there's also a couple of terms
that explains this phenomena: (1) Life's a bitch, and then you die, and (2)
Life is not fair.

Today's SUV's handle and brake better than many sports cars from 30+ years
ago. Doesn't matter, as driver capabilities have not gotten any better.
Studies were done years ago that show that most drivers never corner harder
than 0.20 Gs, as that's when they start to feel "uncomfortable". Pretty much
shows that they advances in vehicle handling are well beyond the bulk of the
drivers that we share the roads with.