[Shotimes] Re: Almost death by SUV (NOT SUV, bad driver!!!!)

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:02:24 -0800

> Frankly, I'm very tired of the SUV bashing, particularly when it's done by
> car enthusiasts.  They are very useful vehicles that serve practical
needs.
> Of course they don't handle like a Porsche.........but neither does a SHO,
> Saturn, a minivan, or a Buick LeSabre. Drivers who aren't aware enough to
> adjust to their vehicle and driving conditions deserve what they
> get......it's called "thinning the herd".....the only downside is that
> innocent people get taken out with them. But, there's also a couple of
terms
> that explains this phenomena: (1) Life's a bitch, and then you die, and
(2)
> Life is not fair.

I am glad someone FINALLY stepped up and said something about this.  I was
thinking about responding with a similar message, but it never seems to
help.

Needless to say, I am grateful nothing happened to Mr. Potter and applaud
him for his quick thinking and reflexes that most likely saved his life and
possibly the lives of several others, but it is NOT the fault of the SUV OR
the cell phone - it is the driver that ran the light.  It wouldn't matter if
he was driving a Mack truck or a motorcycle, HE is the one that is negligent
and is the party that should be held accountable, NOT SUVs or their drivers
in general, NOT the manufacturer, and NOT the city for designing the
intersection.

We need to focus on better driver training, not on banning certain vehicles.
A bad driver is a bad driver - you could put them on a bicycle and they'd be
a hazard to both themselves and others around them.

Let's start placing the blame where it belongs and give SUVs a well-deserved
break!  After all, there's plenty of people out there that want to see cars
like our SHOs taken off the road, but I'll be damned if I'll let that
happen!  I fight for ALL automotive enthusiasts - everyone has a right to
choose the car they want to drive without being criticized for their
decisions!  That's what makes America so great!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (I SHO U)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)
Eugene, OR