[Shotimes] Brake Parts - '95 MTX

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:57:18 -0500

Nah, plenty of SLO's and wagons have the same rear brakes.  I've stolen
junkyard parts out of both and they're fine.

FWIW, parts stores list the same pad and rotor for the SLO and the SHO,
at least in '95.  I may have heard the nasty rumor that the front
caliper piston is not exactly the same, maybe not even metal?  Anyone
confirm this?

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 163k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.picturetrail.com/stevetatro

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Paul L Fisher
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 3:50 PM
To: Chris "Zap"; Shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Brake Parts - '95 MTX

Front and rear are substantially different. Rears have parking brake
stuff built in and are smaller.

On the fronts, I believe the SLO and SHO are different. One has a
phenolic
(plastic) piston and the other doesn't. I believe the SHO calipers are
the same as the police ones but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

I do not know if the rear is different between SLO and SHO. If I recall,
SLO's have rear drums.

When they replaced your rear caliper, did they replace the slide pins as
well? Those are usually what lock up.

As for the rust, I believe the factory calipers have a coating of some
sort that retards rust while most cheap rebuilders would remove the
coating and not re-apply it so they would rust quicker.

Paul L Fisher
'93 Ford Taurus SHO Crimson Clearcoat ATX 167K Build date 11/18/1992
- K&N Panel filter, Tokico Struts, Eibach Springs, Dynomax cat-back,
Holley 190lph fuel pump, FPS rebuilt ATX, 26mm rear sway bar,
Performance-Plus Stainless Steel Y-pipe, Delrin sub-frame bushings,
Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 oil, Amsoil Synthetic ATF. '00 Ford Explorer
XLT 5.0L V8 AWD Oxford White Clearcoat 34K Build date 11/19/1999
- Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 oil, K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit

SHO Club member http://www.shoclub.com/
Check out my web site http://www.paul-fisher.com/
Amsoil dealer http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil.htm

Get $5 free from Paypal! https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=P3XEFFBFUFKN6