[Shotimes] David's car

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:09:11 -0800

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:29:29 -0600, Ron DeReus wrote:

>Wish I could get my '91 Sable 3.0 to run that way, then I could run the SHO
>on sunny days only...
>
>You looking to replace or rebuild the tranny, Joseph?  I've had a very hard
>time finding a suitable one to swap into the '91, so we can all help you
>look for one if you're going that route.  Just need the code of the
>bellhousing when you get it home.

Ron reminds me of a thing or two you need to be aware of....

At least in the Sable, the year 1991 is unique for transmissions.  I had a '91 Sable
with warmed over 3.0 (I don't know what was done to it...something, for sure, but
that car is as strong as my 3.8 '91 wagon, and gets better mileage than other 3.0s
of that era.)  I sold it after reregistering it as salvage when I fixed damage after
it spun out and wound up in iceplant at the side of the freeway....it was totaled by
the ins. company even though it only needed superficial underbody parts, two axle
shafts, and other minor repairs.  The tranny went out after it was delivered, and
the new owners found it was not swappable... it had to be rebuilt, or replaced with
another '91 tranny.   They rebuilt it for about 1900 bucks.  This is the car that
still has the original Lowrider struts.

The tranny in the psudo-SHO wagon that lives with me has some occasional minor
issues (slow shifting...hunting for OD.....it was rebuilt under warranty 9 years and
95K miles ago), so I am setting funds aside to either rebuild it or do the
conversion....the time WILL come.

You might as well rebuild that one and do to it all the things they need to be
ironclad, then you won't have to worry about it any more....or find a good '91
tranny that has already been done.

'91 Tauri/Sables are good news and bad news....good news, most advanced Gen 1, bad
news, unique ATX.

George