[Shotimes] Strange noise...help!

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:32:57 -0500

Yeah but then you are ignoring the flickering oil light problem..When I
replaced my front motor mount (one of the times at least) I disconnected
my lower rad house for more room. After bolting it back together, I put
the hose and place and poured more coolant into the system. I ran it for
a bit; oil psi light was flickering like crazy at idle and I was getting
some lower end clatter. I posted to this list as well as Techsho and
some people suggested that overheating the motor from the lack of
coolant will cause bearing problems since the oil is getting cooked and
losing its viscosity. I forget the specifics but it made sense at the
time. I bought a set of rod bearings and plastigauge with the idea of
replacing the bearings just in case, but I never did it. Sold them to a
friend and ended up recently getting a whole 'nother set of rod/main
bearings for my bedroom 3.2.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Ron Porter
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 1:12 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Strange noise...help!

Well, the noise comes from all over, plus you can hear it in the car.
Much like any noise, it always sounds like it's coming from the top of
the motor until you check it out more closely.

Not sure that a motor getting hot will give you a rod noise from
clearances getting too tight, the bad-bearing noise is when they are too
loose. Detonation/pinging can be from being too hot. Maybe a cavitating
water pump from trying to pump air?