[Shotimes] Re: Gen I vs. Gen II

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:40:19 -0400

> Around my area there is very little difference in the brand of gas.  There
> are two pipelines in the area and they only have about 10
> tanks at the
> terminals.

There was a story on the history channel a few weeks ago about pipelines and gasoline distribution.  They said that the pipelines were sort of like "common carriers", and all the companies could use them.  They said they would pump one thing for awhile, then switch over to something else and they would get very little intermixing at the interface between the different liquids, but they would take the liquid that they thought to be mixed and sell it to industries that didn't care if they had diesel an gasoline mixed.

They did say that gasolines were closer to the same than the company's advertising would admit to, although they do mix in specific additives for different companies before it goes into the trucks.