[Shotimes] Slight ticking from below intake

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:07:12 -0800

> This is the 1st time I have heard this. Where do you get this information.
I've
> heard you need to check the condition of all the shims as well as
clearance,
> never replace them all. Perfromance-Plus and FPS don't do it. As a matter
of
> fact, if I needed a different sized shim, they would take an old one out
of
> their parts bin and put mine in for someone else.

I think this is likely a case of "Internet Paranoia."  Yamaha motorcycles
and BMW M engines both use the same cam on bucket design that the SHO uses,
and when replacing these shims, you can reuse the old ones (which are
probably the EXACT same shims we use).  As far as I can tell, the shims are
made out of one alloy all the way through, so reusing them would have no
negative consequences.

All of the valve adjustments I've done (both SHO and BMW) involved reusing
existing shims, which looked BRAND NEW except for the oil "stain" on the
bottom side of the shim.  I obviously wouldn't recommend using a shim that
shows obvious wear or grooving, but if it looks good, then reuse it.  Why
not?

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (I SHO U)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)