[Shotimes] Re: rod bearings

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:28:43 -0700 (PDT)

At the risk of extending this thread further--it's possible that the factory that built the motor may have had to machine a journal for an undersize bearing (in other words, you can't count on the fact that all the original bearings were standard size).

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX

From: BJamesjr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 02:00:07 EDT
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] rod bearings
To: kerry@kinionfurniture.com
CC: shotimes@autox.team.net

>  Or, is it just not worth the trouble of doing the plastigage thing?

I've built a lot of engines for standard American cars.  If the crank was
good we just put in standard bearings and didn't bother to check
clearances.
If I was doing my SHO I think I would check the clearances just so I would

know what they were.  If the crank looked questionable I would check
clearances for sure.