[Shotimes] Newcomer with a new problem

Michael Humbert humbem@rpi.edu
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:00:07 -0500

To quell your disbelief, just last spring I had my oil level sensor
start leaking, and man did it pour out.  It started off as a slight leak
coming out the back of the motor, and within one week (and one 200 mile
trip going about 90 mph on average) the slow leak became a steady
dripping.  It was so bad that my car leaked a quart of oil about every
10 miles.  It also made for some fun when the cats got heated up a bit.
I definitely got some crazy looks that week with the smoke billowing out
from under my car.  It was upon inspecting the engine that I immediately
found the leak to be coming from the sensor.  Unfortunately, it was
nearly impossible for me to get to the sensor with my car just jacked
up.  For this reason, I had to bring it to the shop and put it on a lift
to be able to reach and replace it.  If you have long arms you can
definitely do it from the flat of your back quite easily.  The best part
about it, $6 for the repair.  One of the few endeavors with the SHO that
didn't hurt my skinny wallet.

-Mike Humbert
90 titanium w/ 159k

----Original Message----
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@prodigy.net>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Newcomer with a new problem
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:58:32 -0500

No offense to you, Paul, but as ANYONE had the oil pressure sensor start
leaking? The culprit for years was the oil level sensor gasket (and
sometimes the sensor itself) in the oil pan. Now that the cars are
older, the oil pan gaskets are becoming a common leak (BTDT). I have
talked to a bunch of folks with either of the above two starting to
leak, but I've never heard of the oil pressure sensor (up high on the
block on the drivers side) leaking from anyone I've talked to.

Ron Porter