[Shotimes] It's Clutch Time!!!??

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:10:23 -0800

> The ceramic TOB (in theory) will reduce wear on the fingers, which is
> usually what wears out first.  If you are going to a "high" performance
> clutch, with a higher friction material, it'll probably wear out faster.
> Most of the abrasive linings wear the flywheel, pressure plate, and
> themselves faster than the soft organic disc.
>
> I guess my point is the stock unit will probably last the longest,
assuming
> you can keep wear off the pressure plate fingers.

With all the help and information I've gotten from everyone over the past
couple of days, I am now leaning towards a stock replacement clutch with the
upgraded throwout bearing, as this seems like the most economical and
longest-lasting solution.

I think I may have the record for the most clutches in the least miles on my
SHO.  : )  Both of my friends SHOs have a ton of miles on them and the
clutches feel great.  I know one of them has put 60K on the car since he
bought it, and hasn't had to replace the clutch yet even though the pedal
was very stiff and it liked to slip when launched hard when he first bought
it.  He seems to think it's the original clutch, and the car has about 140K
on it.

> what's your clutch doing now that makes you think it's worn out?
slipping?
> pedal real stiff?  not releasing?

The clutch has random engagement points, won't allow the transmission to
shift smoothly most of the time, and requires the clutch pedal to be all the
way to the floor if there's any hope of a decent shift.  The pedal has also
gotten much stiffer over the past few months, and it'll chatter once in
awhile when cold.  I've also had it slip when launching hard, only to grab
and spin the tires up the next time.  It hasn't gotten to the point where I
have to turn the car off to get it back in gear if I put it in neutral while
stopped, but I'm worried it'll get to that point REAL quick like my last one
did.

Thanks a lot for the info everyone - you all have been a big help!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it here: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Autocrosser)
Eugene, OR