[Shotimes] OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:29:11 -0500

Cross-Fire was in 82-83 (may have been 82 only), IIRC.  Top line in 84 was
the 305HO with a single 4-bbl carb and 190hp.  Heard the Cross-Fire was OK
in the Vettes, but sucked big time in the F-bodies.

You didn't ruin anything with the starting fluid.  Unless the plugs were
just flat worn out, chances are, the carb was giving problems.  Did you
check the spark before changing anything out?  What carb did he put on, and
was it jetted correctly?  If not, problems will arise...  If it is running
too lean, major problems in the future, possibly new engine.  If it is
running too rich, high gas bills, possible catalytic converter problems,
more frequent plug changes/cleaning, etc.

Oh yeah, what was the weather like?  Raining? Very damp?  My Father-in-law
once had a carb on a Ford 302 that would not run at all if it was raining or
the air was very damp.  It was somehow getting condensation in the carb, we
even rebuilt it several times, still same thing.  Stopped giving problems
when he replaced the carb :-)

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO
"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"