[Shotimes] Front Rotor Warping Update

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:08:39 -0400

OK...

Here goes!

On Monday I called all over to find a place that does Cryogenic treatment
and found a place in North Georgia that does it.  He wants $30 each to treat
the rotors and prefers that they be shipped to him instead of dropped off.
So I went to see a friend of mine (that just happens to be a NAPA Store
Manager) and we talked at length about all the different options for my
front brakes.  When I added up all the costs of treatment and shipping I
decided that it comes out MUCH cheaper to just cash in a set of lifetime
rotors every time I warp one.  He made me a pretty good deal on a pair of
lifetime warranty rotors and the ceramic pads. (came to $162 total so you
tell me if he is a good friend or not)  ;-]

I pulled off the old pads and (brand name) Power Slots and found that with
the exception of the slots and flash chrome the Power Slots are EXACTLY the
same rotor as the Napa Lifetime (I was told that they were Raybestos brand
but the casting says VARGA and they are stamped TRW).  Anyway, when I
removed the old pads they were stamped with an "LS" logo on the back.
Identical to the LS logo on my calipers.  Anyone know what the LS might
stand for?  The one rotor had a localized hot spot on it (actually an almost
dark blue color) which I assume was the problem, so I'm guessing that the
set of rotors is trash.

Now the car is a dream to drive again (I hope the dream lasts longer this
time!) and I don't feel like the world is staring at me whenever I hit the
brakes.

Jim
'93 MTX