[Shotimes] Re: original key

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Mon, 5 May 2003 13:46:58 -0400

 When I worked at a car audio/alarm place, I found out that it was
necessary to install a device like this when doing a remote start on the
cars that had chips in the ignition keys. There was a second key added
inline with the correct resistor so that the car could be started.
Sounds kind of cheesy to me, but it worked apparently. I never learned
too much about it.

In Steve's case, it sounds like some sort of ignition kill switch but if
its always left plugged in and active, I don't understand the purpose.
Steve, does the car have an alarm? I'll bet that there is no power at
that point when the alarm is on. Once it is disarmed, it probably
operates as usual unless you bump it and unplug it.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: mkelley1@gt.rr.com [mailto:mkelley1@gt.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:24 PM
To: ianf@eden.rutgers.edu; stevetatro@att.net; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Re: original key

I once purchased a used 5.0 Mustang that had a security device mounted
under the dash that disabled the ignition.  It had a little removable
electronic key (think mini-Nintendo game cartridge).  The dealer had
installed it as an anti-theft device.  They told me I could keep it but
it would add $200 to the price of the car or they could remove and
re-use it on another used car.  They apparantely put them on all their
used cars until they're sold.  It sounds similar to what Steve is
talking about (not sure about flashlight reference however).

Mark