[Shotimes] Trick to removing rear ABS sensor?

Fr. Tom Knoblach stjoeber@wcta.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 10:02:43 -0500

Ron:

I have seen several of these sensors destroyed in removal ... they can
rust in pretty solidly, and attempts to remove them usually wreck the
plastic housing and thus the sensor.

I have also only gotten one pinch bolt out without drilling out the
broken off end. How the bolt can be so hard to drill but break so easily
is one of life's little mysteries. Well, the mystery is partly solved by
living in MN ... salt and rust. If it is not rusted in, the gradual
twist-and-pull method should work. Spray the area where the sensor runs
through the hole liberally with PB Blaster first, and let it work a bit.

Anyway ... what I have done is separate the ABS sensor connector under
the rear seat, and just left the sensor (with the wire harness trailing
a couple of feet) in the knuckle. You'll have to take out the rear seat
lower cushion (easy ... just clips on the cushion frame, push it towards
the rear of the car and lift) and snake the wiring out through the hole
in the body. It does involve getting under the car so be SURE it is well
supported on jackstands. The gas tank will seem to be in the way but it
is not. You will get some nice scratches on your arms from the edge of
the tank, probably.

If I was replacing the sensor itself, I would go the
wreck-it-and-ream-the-hole method ... along with a nice coat of
anti-seize compound in the hole for the new sensor.

I have done the Dremel trick as well, but also on knuckles I was not
reusing. I too think it should work, but room to work is limited with
the knuckle on the car, and don't cut too deep!

Tom Knoblach