MPG (was Re: [Shotimes] Fuel Pressure Regulator.)

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 08:31:41 -0500

When I first heard of it, I caught a snippet in an almost dead thread.
All I remember is M silk screened on the Motorola chip, I for Intel, and
"LPMs don't like Motorola chips".

In my case, with the LPM the PCM currently in my car will ping like
crazy with any part throttle driving under load. No LPM and no ping,
with both the stock MAF and my recalibrated 80mm. I haven't verified my
original PCM is Motorola based, just guessing. But my spare PCM is
definitely Intel.

About your WOT comments from other posts: From what I know, by default
Ted plays with the spark curves and fuel maps during both part throttle
and WOT operation. Since my problem was part throttle based (WOT was
fine, screamed actually) we tried many re-burns to address this issue. I
know he wasn't trying to make an easy buck, because all it cost me was
shipping and time. My final burn was for a stock MAF, and I got my 80mm
recalibrated by Pro-Flo. Still no luck so I just ditched it, but the I
vs. M thing has given me a wee bit of renewed hope.

Justin
'92 SHO in KC MO, 190k and counting
SHOTimes list info: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO1.html

>>> "Carl Prochilo" <gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org> 05/13/03 06:03PM

Justin,  Can you elaborate on this Intel vs Motorola thing?  For
instance,
if running the Motorola processor, what issues would be seen using the
LPM?
Like I said, in my case the only real issue I see is with fuel
consumption.
What's whacky about this is that Ted explained to me on more than one
occasion that the chip has an affect on the fuel curve only at WOT.  At
part
throttle the factory programming takes precedence.
I guess at some point soon, probably over the summer, I'm gonna get the
car
on a dyno and do runs with and without the LPM to see what the
measurable
difference is.  If anyone has any data that they feel like sharing, I'd
sure
appreciate seeing it if it specifically addresses measurements that use
the
LPM as the variable.

Carl P.
92 Red

PS.  I have you beat on miles as I'm about to turn over 200K.