[Shotimes] Oil temp gauge//hot oil temps

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 18:04:21 -0400

Going from memory here on some of this.....and I also don't have the dozens
of posts from the 911 list on this topic.

Don, I believe you are being overly cautious. Temps around 212-220 are
actually desirable, as they boil off water and other unwanted stuff. IIRC
(CRS strikes often!!), 250-270 under hard (like track) use isn't "TOO" bad,
but the oil better be fresh or synthetic. If someone is seeing over 240 in
normal spirited street use, they have other problems!!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donelson Don
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 6:04 PM
To: sho2go
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Oil temp gauge//hot oil temps

Normal hot oil temps will range from engine to engine and operating
conditions.

I think somewere between 190 to 220 is normal. On cool days I am 180 and in
traffic or if I am getting on the motor I have seen as high as 250. Under
race conditions I have seen as high as 260 .. 270.

For those temps u only want synthetic oil.

Regarding the low oil temp sensor ... Thats the ideal location for it.  What
i do is disconnect the sending unit ( disconnected your low oil light will
remain off. ) and remove the 26 mm bolt that houses  the sending unit.

You than take the sender to a machine shop and have them cut off the top
part as far down as u can with out affecting the structure integrity and
than have them tap and thread for your brass sending unit adapter.

I have done this on both of my SUPER SHO's

dond