[Shotimes] Clutch Job, Subframe Parts, Al Flywheels, etc.

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Fri, 16 May 2003 08:32:49 -0500

I would suggest the SHONut stuff, as it's what I just installed in my
92.

If it's not leaking oil now I wouldn't mess with the oil pan. You could
make it worse. =)

I would do delrin or aluminum bushings only if your roads are decent. I
have delrin, and the roads in KC are horrible. I noticed a hairline
crack in one of the outer pieces during the tranny swap.

As for the subframe bolt, which corner is it in? If one of the rears
and the subframe recall has been done, you have holes under the carpet
to get to the nut thing on top. There should be a tab that keeps it from
spinning, but they rust and break off. Ask me how I know. If the bolt is
in front, you'll have to get creative. I slotted the sheetmetal open
with a cutoff wheel to get to my driver's front.

I like my SS lite aluminum flywheel. You will notice a performance
increase, but I don't know about any longevity gains. There has been
talk about not overheating the disc (OEM anyway) with repeated drag
style launches, as the thermal properties of the ligher flywheel are
different from a big heavy cast iron stock one.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Justin
'92 SHO in KC MO, 190k and counting
SHOTimes list info: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO1.html

>>> "Chris "Zap"" <zap@columbus.rr.com> 05/15/03 11:22PM >>>
    Woohoo!!!  The '94 finally has the transmission out! :)  Now for a
slew
of questions regarding the clutch job itself (once parts are acquired)
and
also other issues we've run into.

    First, with regards to the clutch, it's been asked 1000 times, but
any
suggestions for replacements, part suggestions, etc are greatly
welcomed.
Also, is the procedure for the actual clutch/throwout bearing/pressure
plate
outlined anywhere?  I want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that it is put
together
right before anything goes back into the car.  I plan to use the SHONut
kit,
with the upgraded ceramic bearing.  Also, I'm thinking about just doing
the
whole deal and getting the one with all new gaskets and such.  The oil
pan
gasket is sticking partially out of the front of the engine and I'm
thinking
it may lose oil there.  It's only about $30 more and the piece of mind
would
be worth it if it would stop/prevent all the oil leaks possible in
those
areas.  I don't want to have to rip the car apart again to fix a stupid
oil
leak!

    Secondly, the subframe is STILL attached.  We put the weight on the
one
bolt that wouldn't come out but whatever the bolt goes through inside
hold it to the subframe (squareish piece) still spins around even with
the
weight of the frame on it.  It has to obviously be fixed before the car
goes
back together, so any suggestions are appreciated about doing so.
Also, I
think the subframe bushings are probably on their way out.  I may post
some
pictures somewhere if I can borrow a digital cam to take some.  Seeing
the
prices, the performance ones are not much more, and I have heard some
positive and negative things about them.  I haven't had the opportunity
be in another SHO with any mods (as far as I know, but of all 3 I've
driven
my '95 has a funny extra power feeling to it) so I don't know what the
personal feel is.  Any input is welcome here, as well.

    Finally, I also am looking for input on Aluminum (Fidanza)
flywheels,
the benefits, etc.  This car is my girlfriend's, and her parents pay
for
repairs, so I'm wondering if there is a good justification for this
one! ;)
I know the labor for this job is probably about double the cost of the
parts
price or so, so that might help justify a bit of extra expense.  Is
there
any mechanical or wear improvement for the clutch or other parts as a
result
of using these flywheels?

Thanks,
Chris