[Shotimes] Steering wheel/column possible electrical problems

Doug Barrett dougb@ez-net.com
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:09:35 -0500

Hello all,

After lurking around the mailing list for a while, I figure now is about
time to ask a question about a problem I'm having with my '93 Silver ATX.

I turn to the collective about this problem because I have just about run
out of patience.  The buttons for my cruise control used to somewhat work;
I'd have to press 'off' or 'coast' to set the speed, resume would work, but
none of the other buttons did anything.  After a while, the combination
changed.  I needed to press off then on then off again to get it to set,
other times pressing off 3 times then set worked; now they don't do anything.

Also I just found out yesterday that the horn doesn't work either.  I
checked all of the fuses and they are all okay.  I know the horn does work
because I tested it with the 'panic' button on the remote.  Today I pulled
apart the dash looking for a loose wiring harness and was unable to find
any connections that were loose.  While under there, I figured I'd check my
high beam indicator lamp since it wasn't working; the bulb was fine.  The
high beams do work, just not the indicator.

So after all of that, what I am asking is whether I should be looking for
some common harness somewhere to test wires and/or connections or what?

On a side note, I bought this car with a bad tranny from my
father-in-law.  Most of this seemed to happen after I had it replaced by a
local Ford dealership, although it may have happened while sitting at his
house.  I'm not sure what the maintenance history is on this car either,
because my father-in-law only owned it for about 2 years.

Thanks,

Doug Barrett

'93 Silver/Black Leather ATX
88,000mi